Monday, March 26, 2012

Goose Island - Matilda

This is my first official beer review on my blog.  Hopefully the first of many more to come!  A friend of mine had brought back a sixer of Goose Island's Matilda and was gracious enough to give me a bottle, thanks Tim!  I guess my beer palate is developing nicely as after writing my tasting notes down, I checked the website and a lot of it sync'd up!



Appearance:  Poured with a thick very slightly off-white head.  Deep golden orange, not clear (bottle conditioned)


Aroma:  Sweet Fruit character, like apricots, smell of fresh cloves

Flavor:  Sweet fruit character transitioning to a spicy bitterness.

Mouthfeel:  Moderate - High prickly carbonation leading to a dry finish

Overall:  Belgian beers are not the first beer on the shelf I navigate towards.  But I could see this beer drawing me in again in the future.  For a 7% abv beer, this is a dangerous one.  The beer is really balanced between the sweet fruity notes and a spicey clove.  The beer starts out on the sweet side, but the carbonation and bitterness impart a lingering dryness which requests demands you take another sip.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this beer to anyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment